Updated with New Information On
If you haven’t hopped on the mushroom coffee train yet, it’s time for you to see some of the best mushroom coffee brands for 2018 and get started! I’m obsessed. Coffee’s a given on any day, but I really like to get an upgrade from mushroom coffee, whether I’m in need of mental focus, a kick in the pants to workout or a little help relaxing.
The Best Mushroom Coffee Brands for 2018
The best mushroom coffee brands for 2018 listed here aren’t listed in any particular order. They’re just suggestions to try if you’re interested in making your coffee habit a little healthier with medicinal mushrooms.
Four Sigmatic was the first mushroom coffee company I ever heard of and I’ve been a fan since day one.
Their lion’s mane coffee helps me focus (I love the instant one but there’s ground coffee you can brew in your machine or use in a pour over, too).
The cordyceps one puts me in the mood to work out even if it’s the last thing I want to do.
The Mushroom Mocha Mix boosts my energy and satisfies my inevitable afternoon chocolate craving, plus chaga is great for the immune system.
The decaf with reishi is perfect if you’re craving coffee but really should be relaxing.
They have a subscription service that saves you 20 percent and gets you free shipping on your orders each month.
So, what all do they offer?
- Lion’s Mane and Chaga Dark Roast, which comes in ground form (bags that contain enough to make 24 cups) as well as packets (enough for 10 cups) or a tin of instant (enough for 30 cups). The bag’s $24.00, the packets are $15.00, and the tins are $40.00.
- Adaptogen Coffee Mix with Tulsi and Astragalus (instant packets), 10 servings for $15.00
- Mushroom Mocha with Chaga (instant packets, 10 servings for $15.00)
- Decaf Mushroom Coffee with Reishi and Chaga (ground medium roast, 24 servings for $24.00), which is decaffeinated via the Swiss Water Method
- Mushroom Coffee with Cordyceps & Chaga (10 servings for $15.00 or 12 eco-friendly pods for Keurigs for $20.00)
- Mushroom Coffee Mix: Green Coffee with Chaga and Maitake ($15.00 for 10 servings)
- Bundles of most of the coffee options (plus others, but we’re focused on coffee here)
- Mushroom matcha, chai, hot cacao, lemonade, superfood blends, golden lattes, and elixirs
These are organic, third party quality tested, 100% Arabica beans. Each serving has 500mg of mushrooms. I’m a huge fan of the variety and quality. Shipping is fast and customer service is stellar. I’ve emailed them with questions and gotten a quick, helpful reply.
As far as coffee is concerned, Life Cykel is the creator of:
- Magick Mushroom Coffee: A mix of coffee, cordyceps, and chaga that you just add a teaspoon of to hot water for an instant drink designed to provide antioxidants, boost immunity, and help your body utilize oxygen. Get a single pack with 10 servings ($16.83) or a 30-day supply ($46.01).
There’s also the Magick Lion’s Mane Latte, which isn’t actually coffee but looks like it might be at first glance (it would probably be good in coffee). This is a “combination of soft malt caramel flavor with medicinal mushrooms to upgrade health and performance.” Lion’s mane is wonderful for improving focus and memory.
In this mix, there’s no coffee, but there are medicinal mushrooms, maca, vanilla powder, and carob powder (all organic).
If you are curious about the brand and want to place a big order, here’s what else you can find there:
- Reishi Cacao
- Magick Protein (reishi mushrooms, hemp seed protein, pea protein, coconut milk powder, vanilla bean powder, stevia, monk fruit powder, and guar gum)
- Magick Mushroom Coffee Barista Mix (to be added to coffee)
- Pure mushroom powders (lion’s mane, reishi, cordyceps, and chaga) that can be added to coffee
- Kits to grow your own
There is one major downside to this company if you live anywhere other than Australia. The shipping cost. The shipping for the 30-day supply of coffee would’ve cost me almost $17.00 to ship to the United States, and that’s the worldwide shipping rate. If you happen to live in Australia, though, you can get free shipping with orders over $50.00.
NeuRoast has three options: Classic, 3-in-1 Instant Mix, and Instant Black.
- Classic: This is an Italian dark roast that contains cordyceps, lion’s mane, shiitake, reishi, turkey tail, and chaga. It’s meant to help you focus and have mental clarity and each serving has 1000mg of mushrooms and chocolate and cinnamon notes. Pay $19.99 for a gusseted 12oz bag up to $119.00 for a 5lb bag (which comes with a free French press), or subscribe and pay a little less.
- 3-in-1 Instant Mix: This one has it all. You get the instant coffee, non-dairy creamer, and a blend of organic lion’s mane, cordyceps, chaga, reishi, turkey tail, and shiitake. This particular coffee is a medium roast with cinnamon notes. There’s no added sugar, so you can drink it as-is or add your favorite sweetener.
- Instant Black: If you like to always have a packet of coffee on you in case you need a boost and don’t like the offerings nearby, the Instant Black option might be for you. Get 10, 30, or 50 serving boxes ($14.99, $29.99, and $44.99, respectively). You can subscribe and save 10%, too. As with the others, this option contains lion’s mane, chaga, cordyceps, reishi, turkey tail, and shiitake.
This is a great option if you want to take the guesswork out of what you need and just brew a coffee that does it all. This blend of mushrooms is designed to:
- Increase your concentration and productivity
- Help you manage stress
- Support your immune system
- Support your digestive system (turkey tail is prebiotic)
- Regulate blood sugar
- Prevent anxiety
Wild Foods Co.
Wild Foods Co. is kind of an honorable mention here because they don’t actually have pre-mixed mushroom coffee. However, they sell regular and cold brew coffee and all types of mushroom powders that you can mix with your coffee. Beyond that, there are other things to take it to an even higher level, like MCT oil, cocoa butter (for bulletproof mochas), and coconut milk creamers.
So what, exactly, is available to work within creating your perfect cup of mushroom coffee?
- 25% or 50% caffeine coffee, for those who want to cut back on their intake without plunging straight into decaf territory
- Wild Coconut Milk Powder(Creamer)
- Organic, fair trade coffee varieties (single origin and blends) from all around the world and in light, medium, and dark roasts
- Decaf, decaffeinated by the Swiss Water Process
- Wild Cocotropic, a mix of chocolate, turmeric, reishi, raw maca, and chaga that you can mix into your coffee (or drink like hot chocolate)
- Cocoa butter and chocolate powder, for mochas
- Mushroom powders: reishi, chaga, turkey tail, lion’s mane, cordyceps
- Mushroom powder blends: #4 (reishi, chaga, and cordyceps); #5 (cacao, ashwagandha, maca, reishi, chaga, cordyceps, turmeric, and Himilayan pink salt); #6 (reishi, chaga, turkey tail, cordyceps, and lion’s mane)
- Keto Essentials and Pro boxes (you don’t have to be keto to enjoy it), complete with coffee, MCT oil, Wild Cocoa Butter, and the Wild Cocotropic mushroom and chocolate mix, among other non-coffee items like fish oil, pink salt, and charcoal.
Coffee prices range from around $7.00 (6oz) to almost $60.00 (5lbs). Expect to pay around $15.00 to $25.00 for the 12oz and 24oz bags.
You could pay as little as $1.50 for the mushroom powders if you want the mini size. Prices get closer to $20.00 for the 4oz sizes. That may sound like a lot, but you really don’t need to add much. Each ½ teaspoon serving has 1000mg of mushroom goodness.
They also have matcha, protein powders, teas, and vanilla powder so you can mix things up.
The Gourmet Black Coffee with 100% Organic Ganoderma Lucidum is just that, nothing else. What’s ganoderma lucidum? Reishi. It’s supposed to be good for calming down, reducing stress, reducing inflammation, improving memory, fighting fatigue, and more.
This is another instant coffee. Just empty the sachet into your favorite mug and pour hot water on top. You get 30 servings for around $20.00 with shipping. (Check out the latest rates here!) According to several reviewers, this coffee doesn’t make you jittery even though it tastes like good, strong coffee.
Forager by Verdure Medicinals
Forager by Verdure is wonderful because it has so many different types of mushrooms all in one place, paired up with organic Arabica coffee. In this little jar, there are 15 servings of this mix:
- Lion’s mane
- Turkey tail
- Coffee (of course)
If you’re a keto, Paleo, or bulletproof coffee enthusiast, you’ll like that this works well with those lifestyles (you’ll have to add your own butter and/or coconut or MCT oil for bulletproof), The ingredients are organic, fair trade, and non-GMO. The packaging is BPA-free and reusable.
Which of the Best Coffees Should You Try?
It will depend. Are you looking for a specific effect or overall well-being? If you want a specific effect, like a pre-workout push or intense focus, something from Four Sigmatic might be perfect. Need stress relief? Consider the Organo one.
If you want a well-rounded blend that encompasses several different benefits for daily, general use, something like the Forager blend might be better. You could even pick up a mushroom blend designed to be dissolved in your regular coffee in that case, like something from Wild Foods Co.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with the best mushroom coffee brands for 2018. Think of it as an adventure. Try one, then move on to another one. See how you feel with daily use of different blends to find the ones you like the most, that work the best with your health and performance needs.