Mr. Coffee has been around for years and is known as a leader in the world of coffee makers. The Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Programmable Brewer offers you the chance to have great coffee at any time. This is a great coffee machine thanks to its affordable price point and quick brewing speed. You will never have to worry about not having your coffee, even when you are running late, thanks to the programmable feature.
A Quick Look at the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Programmable Brewer
You can easily use the Daily Brew feature and this will allow you to wake up to delicious smelling coffee every morning. In addition to this, you will learn that the coffee naturally tastes better. This is because of the Mr. Coffee filtration system that helps to remove impurities from the water. This keeps your coffee clean which keeps your coffee tasting great.
The filtration system actually has the ability to remove chlorine and other chemicals from the water. This can drastically change the way that your coffee tastes and you will notice that it is more of a pure taste then what you may have with other machines. In addition to these features, you will love the Grab A Cup Auto Pause feature.
This feature allows you to pour yourself a cup of coffee prior to the entire pot being filled. You actually stop the coffee maker when you pull the pot out. This helps you to be able to take your time when pouring while not having to worry about hot coffee going everywhere.
A Breakdown of the Features
- 12 Cup Capacity
- Delay Brew Timer
- Freshness TImer
- Water Filtration System
- Strong Coffee Function (available when making one to four cup servings)
- Warming Plate
- Automatic Shut Off After 2 Hours of Non-Use
About the Company — Mr. Coffee
Mr. Coffee is one of the registered brands under the Newell Company. This brand is known for its innovative expertise in the coffee-making business. The brand was first introduced in the early 1970s. It has become a world-known brand that has been promoted by many famous people. In fact, even Joe Dimaggio was said to have used a Mr. Coffee coffee maker after being a spokesman for the company.
The company was started in Cleveland, Ohio by Samuel Glazer and Vincent Marotta. In the beginning, the company focused solely on delivering coffee to people. Vincent Marotta decided that he would like to develop an automatic drip coffee maker that would make it possible to make coffee easily and without all of the work that went into it before. They worked with a team of engineers and the first automatic drip coffee pot was developed and later sold under the brand name Mr. Coffee.
The coffee pot was finished and developed in 1973. They would eventually go on to sell more than one million units in 1974. This machine replaced the percolator which many people thought actually made coffee taste burnt and more bitter.
The company did not stop with coffee machines, although today that is primarily all that they sell and manufacture. In the 1990s there were some additional items that were sold and marketed from the company. These included the following:
- The Potato Perfect
- Food Dehydrator by Mr. Coffee
- Mrs. Tea Hot Tea Maker
- Mr. Coffee Juicer
- Breadmaker by Mr. Coffee
A Look at Mr. Coffee’s Popular Products Today
Today there are a number of different products that are made and manufactured under the Mr. Coffee brand name. All of these are primarily used for making beverages.
Mr. Coffee continues to be a leader in coffee making technology. Their products offer an advanced look at coffee makers and come in a wide variety of styles and colors.
Single Cup Coffee Makers
- Mr. Coffee Single Cup Coffee Maker with Built-in Grinder with Travel Mug Included
- Mr. Coffee Pour! Brew! Go! Personal Coffee Maker
- Mr. Coffee Pour! Brew! Go! Travel Mug
4-Cup Coffee Makers
- Mr. Coffee Simple Brew 4-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
- Mr. Coffee SImple Brew 4-Cup Coffee Maker
5-Cup Coffee Makers
- Mr. Coffee Advanced Brew 5-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker with Stainless Steel Carafe
- Mr. Coffee Advanced Brew 5-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
- Mr. Coffee Simple Brew 5-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
8-Cup Coffee Makers
Mr. Coffee Advanced Brew 8-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe
12-Cup Coffee Makers
- Mr. Coffee Performance Brew 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
- Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe
- Mr. Coffee Black Stainless Collection 12-Cup Programmable Automatic Coffee Maker
- Mr. Coffee JWX Series 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
- Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
- Mr. Coffee Simple Brew 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
- Mr. Coffee Advanced Brew 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
- Mr. Coffee Simple Brew 12-Cup Switch Coffee Maker
- Mr. Coffee Versatile Brew 12-Cup
- Programmable Coffee Maker and Hot Water Dispenser
Today the Mr. Coffee brand line makes a complete collection of Espresso Machines. These machines are high in quality and will allow you to make all of your coffee shop favorites from the comfort of your own home.
- Mr. Coffee Easy Espresso Machine
- Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista
- Mr. Coffee Steam Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
- Mr. Coffee Pump Espresso Maker
- Mr. Coffee Cafe 20-Ounce Steam Automatic Espresso and Cappuccino Machine
- Mr. Coffee One-Touch CoffeeHouse Espresso and Cappuccino Machine
- Mr. Coffee Pump Automatic Espresso and Cappuccino Machine
Tea makers are a great way to be able to have your tea easily made for you and ready when you are. You can find both iced tea makers and hot tea makers from Mr. Coffee.
Iced Tea Makers
- Mr. Coffee Tea Cafe Iced Tea Maker 2.5-Quart
- Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker, 2-Quart
- Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Flavor Infuser
- Mr. Coffee Digital Electric Kettle
Hot Tea Makers
- Mr. Coffee Hot Tea Maker and Kettle
True coffee drinkers enjoy being able to fresh grind their coffee beans before each pot of coffee that they brew. Mr. Coffee offers a great selection of affordable grinders so that you can have the coffee that you desire.
- Mr. Coffee Coffee Grinder
- Blade Grinder with Chamber Maid Cleaning System
Mr. Coffee really has taken making coffee to a whole market. They are now producing coffee and tea machines that are going to give you everything that you could ever want.
Tips for Brewing the Perfect Pot of Coffee
Today drinking coffee continues to rise in popularity. There are so many popular coffee chains and even locally-owned coffee shops are becoming popular places to be.
Having a great cup of coffee in the morning can really make you happy for the entire day. Every day most people feel tempted to run to their local barista for a delicious cup of brew. This can get expensive and most people do not have it in their budgets to purchase coffee every day.
With that in mind, it can be quite cost saving to learn how to brew your own perfect cup of coffee. Thankfully if you have a great coffee pot this is not going to be that hard. Plus, you will never have to leave home for the perfect cup of coffee again.
One of the first tips that you should know is that you have to keep your coffee fresh by keeping it covered correctly. You can store it in an airtight container or in a sealed bag. This helps to keep the flavor as good as possible.
It actually helps to filter out the bitterness that is going to make your cup of coffee more delicious. It does not matter if this coffee is estate grown or if it is purchased from the grocery store. You can purchase what you like from any local retailer or even online. This is going to help you to have the most delicious cup of coffee every single time.
How to Make Coffee
There are actually three different ways in which you can brew up a cup of coffee. Most people prefer the classic drip coffee machine, like those that Mr. Coffee sells. These have always been the most popular, but the other two ways of brewing coffee are becoming more popular. You can choose to use the pour-over method or even utilize a French press. These are all favorites for some people.
You can brew the best coffee with any of these three methods. You should use around fifteen grams of group coffee per every eight ounces of water. This means that for four cups of coffee you will want to use around 60 grams of ground coffee. This is equal to about ¾ cup of ground coffee or 6 standard coffee scoops.
A lot of people believe that the pour-over method is the best and most delicious way to make coffee. This is actually the best method to have the most delicious and complex cup of coffee. It is one method that is sure to keep you wanting more.
Steps to the Perfect Pour Over Cup of Coffee
- Bring a kettle of water to boil.
- Grind coffee beans to the consistency that you are hoping for, you will want it to be like table salt for the perfect cup of pour-over coffee. (You can also purchase ground coffee, but fresh ground always tastes better.)
- Put a filter into the brewer and rinse the filter with hot water. This is actually helpful in being able to remove the paper reside that is on the filter and it helps to warm the brewer. This will help you to have coffee that is hot for longer. Just make sure that you throw out the water that you used to rinse the filter.
- Next, add the coffee to the filter, you want to be careful so that you have a flat surface of the coffee. Then when your coffee is between 195 and 205 degrees you will be ready to start. It typically takes about one minute for the water to cool to this temperature. You will pour the water slowly over the grounds. You go from side to side making sure that all of the grounds are wet. Then you start from the middle and work your way out. You will stop pouring until the water begins dripping through the filter. This actually is a special pour called the bloom pour. It is designed to help your coffee de-gas so that you get the best possible flavor.
- Finally, you are ready to pour the rest of the water through. You will want to keep the dripper between the ¾ and ½ full levels. This will take you a few minutes, but it is going to offer you a superior cup of coffee. When you are done, you simply remove the filter, serve, and enjoy.
Steps to the Perfect Coffee Maker Cup of Coffee
- Fill the water dispenser with as much water as you would like to make coffee. Remember that the filtering process is going to use some of the water.
- Grind your coffee beans or remove your coffee from the package.
- Place the filter into the coffee maker. Be sure that you rinse the filter to remove the residual flavor of the coffee filter.
- Pour coffee into the filter.
- Program the machine to make coffee or turn it on.
- Wait for your coffee to brew and then enjoy!
Steps to the Perfect French Press Cup of Coffee
- Grind your coffee or have your coffee out and ready to go. Make sure that you are using a good quality filter and that you have rinsed the filter.
- Pour clean water into the machine and press the button on the front.
- The machine is going to help you to make sure that the coffee is ready. You have to simply allow the machine to stop bubbling. In addition, you have to be sure to actually clean this machine monthly. You will want to use a mixture of water and vinegar.
You can have a delicious cup of coffee on your own. It is not hard and it is going to give you a delicious treat when you need one. Having great coffee is simple enough that you will quickly be able to do it.
Tips for Making the Best Coffee
Tip #1 — Buy Fresh Beans
Many people do not realize how important it is to purchase coffee immediately after it has been roasted. If you want to make the best coffee, having high quality freshly roasted beans is a must. Be aware of buying coffee from bulk bins or from supermarket shelves. You can not be sure of when these beans were roasted and this means that often times they are not going to be delicious.
You can actually roast your own coffee beans or beans you have purchased from a local roaster. This is the best way to be able to have the freshest beans. In addition, make sure that you avoid coffee that has been exposed to oxygen. This is because the oxygen is going to cause the coffee to have a nasty flavor. Many people do not realize that the coffee oils that are in the storage tubs actually change and turn rancid. These oils are not very good for you and actually spoil your coffee.
Tip #2 — Keep Your Coffee Beans Fresh in Well Sealed Containers
The first thing that you should do is store your coffee in an airtight container instead of the bag that it comes in. Glass canning jars and ceramic storage crocks that have rubber seals are great choices for this. Do not put your coffee in the refrigerator or the freezer.
The problem with this is that you can end up having the moisture and food odors from the refrigerator into the coffee. You will simply want to purchase a supply of beans that is going to last five to seven days and keep them at room temperature.
Tip #3 — Choose High-Quality Coffee
The quality of coffee matters. Many coffee drinkers are known for their snobby attitudes towards coffee that often rival the snobby attitudes that people have with things like wine. This is one of the ways to actually have a delicious coffee from your home. There is a wide range of coffee grounds that are going to allow you to have a delicious cup from a mass-market brand. However, if you find a local roaster, you are always better off going with local.
There are two separate types of beans that are available today. These are:
- Arabica — Arabica is a widely produced type of coffee bean. They have a wide range of flavors and are considered to be the superior bean. If this is what you want, make sure that you find 100% Arabica beans.
- Robusta — This is one of the cheaper alternatives to Arabica. This type of coffee has a higher caffeine content but also has a harsher flavor. It is a cheap alternative and provides coffee for those who might not have it in their budget to get higher quality coffee.
Tip #4 — Grind Your Coffee Fresh
Most coffee loses quality the minute that it has been ground. The coffee actually loses flavor and is not going to taste as good if you are not grinding it fresh each day. The best-tasting coffee is always made with beans that were ground just before brewing. Anyone who is going to drink coffee and wants to have the best will know that purchasing a grinder is key.
There are actually two different types of coffee grinders that you can purchase:
- Burr Mill Coffee Grinders — These are the preferred grinder of those who are looking for a superior cup of coffee.
- Electric Coffee Grinders — These grinders are more affordable and easier to find. They are available nearly everywhere and you can pick up one for under $20. This is a small investment to make in order to have superior coffee on a regular basis.
Just make sure that you opt for a grinder that is going to give you the grind that you want on your coffee. Some of these will multiple settings and some will only have one. If you are utilizing coffee in different ways, you might want a grinder that has more than one setting.
Tip #5 — Make Sure You Are Using Good Water
One thing that will quickly ruin any pot of coffee and make it taste different is using bad tap water. Now, this does not mean that all tap water is bad. In fact, some areas have tap water that is good enough to make the best cups of coffee. What you need to do is make sure that you have good tap water.
If you do not, there are some things that you can do to improve the taste of your coffee. You can choose to have a carbon or an activated charcoal filter put on your tap. This is going to take all of the chlorine and off-flavors out of your water which will improve the taste of your coffee. If this still does not make your taste buds happy, then you can use bottled drinking water or bottled spring water.
Keep in mind that water that has a water softener is not good for coffee. In fact, this water has too many purifiers in it and it causes the coffee to taste different.
Tip #6 — Buy High-Quality Filters and Change Your World
Many people simply do not realize how important high-quality filters are when they are trying to brew the perfect cup of coffee. Far too many people pick up those cheap paper coffee filters and wonder why their coffee never tastes as good as the coffee shop. If you have been doing everything right and still are not getting the taste that you desire, try upping your game for a better quality coffee filter.
There are some things that you should be specifically looking for. One of these is to make sure that you have purchased filters that are oxygen-bleached or dioxin-free. This is going to help you to make sure that you have the best possible filter for taste. In addition, if you are an avid coffee drinker, you could just pick up a gold-plated filter that you wash and reuse.
Some of these are the best choices for everyone. You will be sure to get the best flavor with this but you will need to have a bit of a thicker grind on your coffee. If your coffee is ground too fine, you will find it goes through the gold filter which can cause you to have grounds in your coffee.
Tip #7 — Make Sure to Use Enough Coffee
Another common mistake that people make is that they do not use the right amount of coffee. If you want a nice dark roast that is full-bodied and full of flavor, you will need to make sure that you are adding at least two level tablespoons for every six ounces of coffee that you would like to have.
If you use hotter water, you can use a little bit less coffee as this will help to extract more brew from the beans. However, most pots and commercial machines are going to require the full amount.
Tip #8 — Watch Water Temperatures
One of the reasons that many machines do not make the water hotter is that if the water is too hot, you are going to lose flavor and the quality of your coffee. This is important to note, as you are going to want to watch your water temperatures.
Many people do not realize that when coffee brews in water that is too hot, a bitter cup of coffee is produced. The perfect temperature for coffee to be brewed at is 200 degrees F. If you are doing the pour-over method, let the water come to a boil for forty-five seconds. This is something that is done with regular coffee makers as they regulate the temperature of your water for you.
Once you have brewed the coffee, it is important to note a few things. One is that coffee does not hold the best flavor for long. You will have to drink the coffee to have the most flavor out of it. The second is that if you reheat, boil or prolong the holding of your coffee on a warming plate, you are going to end up with coffee that tastes bitter.
A Little Bit More About the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Programmable Brewer
You will be happy with the overall quality when you purchase the Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Programmable Brewer. This machine is actually a few steps up from the bare-bone models that you might also be considering. The best feature of this coffee pot is that it is programmable.
This allows for you to be able to set the machine to brew for the morning the night before. From here, you get to actually wake up to hot fresh brewed coffee. It is a great time saver in the mornings and helps to ensure that you never have to start your day without your cup of coffee.
Now, let’s talk about the flavor, we have mixed reviews from our testers. Some enjoyed the flavor of the coffee while others did not. It seems that if you are looking for just a standard cup of coffee that this could be the perfect coffee pot for you. If you want something stronger or if you are interested in a darker roast, you will probably not be impressed with this machine.
It is probably not the gourmet coffee drinker’s choice, but that is okay. Not every model of every machine is going to make everyone happy. In fact, there is sure to be the perfect machine out there for everyone, but this might not be it. This is a great coffee pot for someone looking to have a simple cup of coffee as they are leaving in the morning or for someone who just likes a nice moderately brewed cup of coffee all day long.
The machine takes less than ten minutes to brew a full pot of coffee. The coffee is not scorchingly hot either. In fact, most testers could drink the coffee without letting it cool at all. Some testers chose to leave the bot on the burner a little longer and the temperature did raise a bit.
After a longer period of time, the temperature pretty much maintained the same temp that it had when it was first brewed. Some of our testers wanted the coffee to be hotter but the majority of them were happy with the coffee as it was.
The size of the coffee pot is nice as well. Twelve cups provide enough fuel for even the biggest coffee drinker. It also provides enough coffee to fill multiple travel mugs or for when you have guests and want to spend time together. Plus, the machine has a great safety feature. This is perfect for you if you are often distracted in the morning and trying to rush out of your house. The machine actually has an automatic shut-off. It shuts off after just two hours. The only problem with this is if you want to keep coffee warm for a longer period of time, like a casual Saturday morning.
You can see into the machine’s water tank which is helpful when filling. If you decide that you do not want to make a full twelve cups, you do not have to. You can simply add less water to the tank and then only that amount of coffee will be made. The machine uses a standard coffee filter. This is both convenient and nice. You can purchase these anywhere and therefore the machine does not require you to buy special items in order to be able to use it.
Many people are overwhelmed when making coffee because they are not aware of how much coffee they actually need to be making. It is generally a good rule of thumb to use one tablespoon of ground coffee per cup of water. Some people find that they like to tweak this equation and do a little more or less depending on how strong they like their coffee.
The glass coffee pot that comes with the machine is really nice. One thing that was quickly noticed is that the pot did not leak at all. This is something that has consistently annoyed me with other coffee machines. The glass pot also has the ability to stay warm when it is put on the burner.
The machine is very easy to use. There are a lot of features so you might be worried about it being too tough to use. This is not the case. The coffee pot works exceptionally well and is very easy to operate. This means that it works well for anyone regardless of age or technical abilities.
There are some things that this coffee pot is lacking. There is no alert when your coffee is done brewing. This is a function that many people who are busy appreciate, but it is not one that you are going to find on this machine. Once you see how quickly your machine brews for you, it is possible to set a timer on your phone or to simply watch your clock.
Another thing that is not included is an indicator of any type that you actually need to clean your machine. This means that you have to actually understand and adopt a cleaning schedule that you remember on your own. Cleaning is not hard.
This is a nice bonus. The only thing that you have to do to clean the coffee maker is to either use a commercial coffee cleaner product or pour five ounces of white vinegar into the water area and run the machine like you normally would. You will then want to fill it with water. You will let three cups of water go through the machine. Then you turn off the machine and let it sit for thirty minutes. Once you have done this your machine is going to be clean.
- The coffee machine is very affordable compared to others that are on the market.
- You can have a solid cup of coffee.
- Easily available at multiple retailers both in stores and online.
- A brand and a name that you can trust.
- Programmable to have coffee when you want it.
- Automatic safety shut off to ensure that you do not have to worry about forgetting to shut the machine off.
- The coffee that is brewed is weak. Those who have tasted this coffee are often left feeling unimpressed.
- The overall quality of machines is questionable with lots of reports of machines only lasting a few years.
- The machine does not tell you when to clean it, so you have to remember.
- The machine only heats to one temperature.
Gordon is seriously addicted to coffee. He also likes to write. Match made in heaven? Yes. After years of boring casual coffee drinkers to death with bean origin stories, he took to writing publicly here at 2Caffeinated.